Inquiries and applications should be emailed to email@example.com or addressed to:
North Penn Legal Services
25 West Third St., Ste. 400
Williamsport, PA 17701
Contact by email is preferable.
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) is a non-profit, 501(c)3 corporation funded in large part by the Legal Services Corporation, Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to provide free legal help to low income persons. North Penn Legal Services is staffed by 29 attorneys and 15 paralegals working out of nine offices. Advocates provide representation on a broad range of civil matters including custody, housing, SSI, bankruptcy, consumer and protection from abuse. In addition to direct representation, clients are also helped through telephone advice, pro bono and Judicare attorneys, pro se packets and self-help clinics.
North Penn Legal Services, Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, which employs and promotes without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other consideration prohibited by law. All qualified candidates within these categories are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants who are current recipients of Public Assistance are also encouraged to apply. Inquiries and applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or addressed to HR Manager, North Penn Legal Services, 25 W. Third St., Suite 400, Williamsport, PA 17701. Include a cover letter with your resume and kindly include the listing reference code that appears at the end of the position description. Applications are generally accepted until the position is filled. North Penn offers a competitive fringe benefits package. Salary DOE.
NPLS requires that all candidates submit a cover letter with their resume. The purpose of the cover letter is for the candidate to make a connection between their credentials and the job announcement. We are interested in candidates who have a connection to our work and our communities. It is helpful to our screening process to evaluate this connection prior to an interview. Candidates who fail to send a cover letter will be eliminated prior to initial screening.
- Staff Attorney – Williamsport Office
NPLS offers very competitive benefits and leave time.
Staff Attorney – Williamsport Office
We have an immediate opening for an attorney with a general focus to work in our Williamsport office. This office serves Lycoming, Clinton, and Tioga counties. The attorney hired for this position will join two other experienced staff attorneys and an experienced paralegal in the provision of legal services. Low income clients are also helped extensively through an active pro bono program with the private bar and by attorneys with Judicare contracts.
- Attorney will represent clients in variety of civil cases including child custody, landlord-tenant, consumer issues, public housing, and Social Security.
- Preference for attorneys who have a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
- Attorneys bilingual in English and Spanish encouraged to apply.
- Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience.
- PA Bar or by admission strongly preferred.
- Inter-county travel.
- Desire applicants with one to three years in practice. Salary DOE, approx. $45,000 to $48,600.
- Competitive fringe benefits including generous paid leave, health insurance and 401(k) plan.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- This is a public interest position that may qualify for loan repayment assistance programs through the Legal Services Corporation, PA IOLTA, law schools as well as PSLF (Public Service Loan Forgiveness).
- What to Include in your application: Please reply to email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
- Ref. AttorneyWilliamsportJuly2018
If you are the recipient of a one- or two-year fellowship, please contact NPLS' Acting Executive Director Lori Molloy at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will determine if there is an opportunity at one of our local offices that meets your needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer
North Penn Legal Services, Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, which employs and promotes without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration prohibited by law. Minorities, women, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Preference shall be given to applicants residing in the community to be served in accordance with LSC Regulation 1616 and to qualified applicants who are current recipients of Public Assistance.