Inquiries and applications should be emailed to email@example.com or addressed to:
North Penn Legal Services
25 West Third St., Ste. 400
Williamsport, PA 17701
Contact by email is preferable.
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) is a non-profit, 501(c)3 corporation funded in large part by the Legal Services Corporation, Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to provide free legal help to low income persons. North Penn Legal Services is staffed by 29 attorneys and 15 paralegals working out of nine offices. Advocates provide representation on a broad range of civil matters including custody, housing, SSI, bankruptcy, consumer and protection from abuse. In addition to direct representation, clients are also helped through telephone advice, pro bono and Judicare attorneys, pro se packets and self-help clinics.
North Penn Legal Services, Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, which employs and promotes without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other consideration prohibited by law. All qualified candidates within these categories are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants who are current recipients of Public Assistance are also encouraged to apply. Inquiries and applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or addressed to HR Manager, North Penn Legal Services, 25 W. Third St., Suite 400, Williamsport, PA 17701. Include a cover letter with your resume and kindly include the listing reference code that appears at the end of the position description. Applications are generally accepted until the position is filled. North Penn offers a competitive fringe benefits package. Salary DOE.
NPLS requires that all candidates submit a cover letter with their resume. The purpose of the cover letter is for the candidate to make a connection between their credentials and the job announcement. We are interested in candidates who have a connection to our work and our communities. It is helpful to our screening process to evaluate this connection prior to an interview. Candidates who fail to send a cover letter will be eliminated prior to initial screening.
- Intake Worker – Pittston Office
- Ombudsman/Paralegal – Sunbury Office
- Staff Attorney – Williamsport Office
NPLS offers very competitive benefits and leave time.
Staff Attorney – Williamsport Office
We have an immediate opening for an attorney with a general focus to work in our Williamsport office. This office serves Lycoming, Clinton, and Tioga counties.
- Attorney will represent clients in variety of civil cases including child custody, landlord-tenant, consumer issues, public housing, and Social Security.
- Preference for attorneys who have a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
- Attorneys bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience.
- PA Bar or by admission required.
- Inter-county travel.
- Desire applicants with one to three years in practice. Salary DOE, approx. $41,200 to $43,600.
- Competitive fringe benefits including generous paid leave, health insurance and 401(k) plan.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- Access to loan repayment assistance programs.
- Include cover letter and writing sample with your inquiry. Reply to email@example.com
- Ref. AttorneyWilliamsportMarch2018
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Intake Worker – Pittston Office
The Intake Worker position at North Penn is the first point of contact for individuals who may need legal help. Screeners must gather pertinent information from the caller to determine if their legal need fits into our guidelines.
This position is critical to the flow of new cases that come into our offices. The skills necessary for this position are good interviewing skills, the ability to enter data and notes into our computer software, and the ability to reference and interpret the intake guidelines. We need caring individuals who can gather information but stay focused. The best candidates for this type of position have worked in some sort of social service and desire to work in an office environment. We have dedicated attorneys and paralegals on our staff and we need the intake worker to balance out our staff. North Penn employs a number of intake workers in our 20-county program working in different offices. This position will be located in Pittston.
- Bilingual in Spanish required.
- Primary duties include screening callers for eligibility for services.
- Require proficient telephone skills and use of database software as well as word processing ability.
- Opportunity to work in law office setting.
- Ability to manage intake reference materials.
- Some travel for training purposes may be required.
- Minimum education is high school diploma. Two year post-secondary training desirable.
- Salary DOE. Credit for relevant work experience.
- Interviewing, customer service or social services experience helpful.
- Salary with two year’s experience is $12.14 per hour plus .55 per hour if Spanish speaker.
- Position includes insurance and paid time off benefits.
- Send letter explaining interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ref. IntakeApril2018
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Ombudsman/Paralegal – Sunbury Office
we have an immediate opening for a combination position of Ombudsman and Paralegal with a majority of the time dedicated to the Ombudsman position funded by the Office of Aging.
- This position is dedicated primarily to Ombudsman work (90%).
- The required paralegal work may include focusing on an area of advocacy which could include setting up custody clinics, handling bankrupticies, or preparing Social Security cases.
- The preferred candidate will have some prior paralegal or social work experience and a demonstrated commitment to serving the interests of low-income people as well as institutionalized individuals.
- The Ombudsman duties involve extensive travel in Columbia, Montour, Union, Snyder and Northumberland counties.
- Salary DOE. The approximate range for this position would be based on prior relevant experience, approximately $27,000 to $30,000.
- Ombudsman candidates are prepared for the position through frequent required training.
- NPLS offers very competitive benefits and leave time.
- Reply to HR Manager by email with cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Ref. Ombudsman - Paralegal
- Resumes accepted until position filled.
- Job descriptions for both positions are available upon request.
- Equal Opportunity Employer
If you are the recipient of a one- or two-year fellowship, please contact NPLS' Executive Director Vicki Coyle at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will determine if there is an opportunity at one of our local offices that meets your needs.